It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Bangali-Style Fish Curry

My sister and I made this last night and it's super tasty! We served it with brown basmati rice, which made the whole thing a pretty healthy meal. Next time I do it, I will make sure to use something like Thai chili peppers or something along those lines of extreme spice, but the serranos gave a nice subtle heat that my sister (and most humans) enjoy.

This is a very impressive meal for something that is very quick and little work. I am going to make this again - def a crowd please - but, I am going to make the paste beforehand and then just whip it up when people are over!

1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
4 TBSP mustard oil
2 lbs Vietnamese basa filet
4 serrano chiles, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1" ginger, roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 medium onions (or one large), roughly chopped
1 C water
Chopped cilantro to garnish
Basmati rice

Coat the fish with the turmeric and salt and then fry for 2-3 minutes on each side in the mustard oil over medium heat in a heavy bottom pan. Remove once done.

Place the chiles, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and onions in a food processor and puree into a paste.

Remove the fish, add the paste and let reduce until most of the water has evaporated (about 30 minutes). Add the fish back in, add the water and let cook for another 20 minutes. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment