It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Apple Stuffed Pork Loin with Horseradish Crust

Can we all say Fall?! I'm LOVING Fall, as I always do! The apples used in this recipe came from the trusty farmer's market on Roosevelt Island, my home. I think the farmer's market gets a lot of negative feed back, but hey, it's decent prices and it's super fresh. You know how I can tell it's fresh? Cause everything stays so good for so long. The arugula can stay in your fridge for 2 weeks. Arugula from Whole Foods stays good for a couple of days.

So, you get a large pork loin for this recipe. You can either have the butcher cut it up for you, or you can do it yourself! I kinda had a lot of fun doing it myself. Also, the meat stays more fresh if you do it yourself.

1 pork loin, butterflied
1 cooking apple (whatever is green is my rule)
1 stalk celery (with leaves)
Chopped walnuts
Fresh grated horseradish
Olive oil
Salt/pep

Butterfly the pork and stuff w thinly sliced apples, celery and walnuts. Roll up and either tie together with dental floss or "sew" with a skewer. Pat on the horseradish on the outside. Season with salt/pep. Place on baking sheet, cover with foil and cook at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove foil, drizzle w olive oil and crank heat to broil to crust the whole roast.

I served this with mashed parsnips and potatoes and Leek Cheese Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment