It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fish Stew

This is a great alternative to the strategic Bouillabaisse. This is cheaper and easier than the real deal. It's super healthy, easy and cheap to make! I feel like they would charge you $30 on a LUNCH menu at a swanky ass place for this. Actually, wait, they do! I ate at Ammos recently with my dad and got basically this dish (without couscos ... it was a tomato broth with cheap seafood and it cost $33!!!)

1/2 lb white flaky fish (cod, sole, tilapia, etc)
1/4 lb shrimp
1/4 lb scallop
Handful each of mussels and clams

1 1/2 C whole wheat couscous

2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 leeks
1 baking potato
2-4 cloves garlic
1 TBSP oregano
1/2 TBSP basil
1 tsp thyme
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
Salt/pep
Oil
1/2 C Vermouth
Can of whole, peeled tomatoes

Wash the leeks then finely chop all the veggies. Add all the veggies to a hot pan coated with olive oil. Add the dried herbs. Cook veggies until tender (about 6-8 mins). Deglaze the pan with Vermouth and continue cooking until the Vermouth is almost gone (5 mins). Add the tomatoes (crushing them with your hand as you add them) and let it come to a boil. Add the seafood (I start by adding the fish, then the scallops, then the bivalves and finally the shrimp last), cover and let simmer just a few minutes until the shrimp are pink.

Serve over the couscous. I just made the couscous with regular water, but I would imagine cooking it in seafood stock would add another layer of tasty goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment