It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fish n Chips with Tartar Sauce

I loves me some fish and chips.

1 lb cod (4 pieces... get your fish monger to hook it up. feel free to chose your own pieces)
4 baking potatoes
Veggie oil for deep frying
1 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 C beer
1 tsp old bay
1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 C mayo
1 TBSP relish
1 tsp grated horseradish
Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Ok - so the batter ingredients are just an estimate. You can really create your own batter however you like. I guess the essentials are flour, liquid and baking powder (to make it puff). From there, throw whatever else you like in it and you reeeeally can't go wrong. I like to use a pale ale for this, or seltzer works surprisingly well too.

Basically you cut the potatoes into discs for your chips. Fry these FIRST! Fry them at 350 degrees for about 4 minutes, take them out, let them sit for 5 minutes then refry them at 365 degrees until they are browned. This is sorta fancy and if you just throw potatoes in hot oil, they will cook. Don't get hung up about this - you'll get it over time.

You fry the fish AFTER the fries cause otherwise the fries taste like fish, which is not a good look. Coat the fish in your thick batter and fry at 350 degrees until golden.

Drench in malt vinegar and dip in your tartar sauce (mix above ingredients together).

No comments:

Post a Comment