It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Poached Salmon with Roasted Asparagus

Happy Birthday to Chel! For my sisters bday, I got all her favorites (salmon, asparagus and red potatoes) before I figured out how to cook them. I ended up poaching the salmon, roasting the asparagus and mashing the potatoes. This is so simple, so healthy and so elegant.

Salmon fillets
Asparagus
Potatoes
2 garlic cloves
1/2 onion
1 C white wine
1 C milk
Olive oil
Salt/pepp

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Peel and boil the potatoes.

To poach the salmon, combine 1 C white wine with 1 C water in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add half an onion, sliced and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Salt the salmon and place in the boiling mixture, on top of the onion and garlic. The liquid should just cover the salmon. Cook to your liking (if people like it rare, take theirs off first). Chel likes hers cooked all the way through.

Drizzle the asparagus liberally with good olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay out on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven for about 8-10 minutes. The asparagus should still have a bite to it.

Mash the potatoes and add 1 C milk, salt and pepper.

Drink the rest of the wine. Then more. Then more. Then blog about it hungover at work the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment