It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Trio of Baked Ziti

I made a huge pot of ziti and then didn't want it to be a huge snore fest, so I jazzed them up a bit by cooking them in 3 individual loaf pans and making three kinds: meat, veggie and plain. I recommend serving these with a side of sauce for guests to use at their leisure. Therefore, even though the recipe calls for two cans of sauce, I would get three and put one alongside. I would simple get plain sauce, heat it up, don't add anything and serve in a bowl with a spoon.

2 boxes ziti
2 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 15 oz can ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 packages 8oz shredded mozzarella
1 TBSP each: red pepper flakes, parsley, basil and oregano
1 box frozen spinach
4 sweet Italian sausages

Cook the pasta to el dente. Mix everything but the spinach, sausage and mozzarella cheese together. Let this mixture sit a few hours before hand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove sausage from casing and brown. Microwave spinach till thawed. Squeeze out extra juice.

In the first loaf pan, coat the bottom with ziti mixture, add the meat and cover with ziti. Top with cheese. In the second loaf pan, do the same, but add spinach instead of meat. The third loaf pan should be plain.

Cook for about 40 minutes uncovered. Let cool for 15 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment