It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Blueberry Crumb Cake

The tart blueberries paired w the caramelly crunchy brown sugar topping is amazing. The sour cream gives it it's richness; you wouldn't be able to identify the sour cream, but once you know it's there the velvety perfect texture makes sense. Really, do this.

I even prepared a bit the night before (because I was leaving for my moms the next morning and wanted to make it fresh in the morning). I mixed the thopping - minus the butter - and I also mixed the dry ingredients for the cake. I made sure the butter I was going to melt was ready to go and the butter I wanted at room temp was out. I pre-cracked the eggs and had the sour cream measured out, so all I really had to do was assemble while drinking my coffee and bake while having my shower. Quite nice!

Topping
1/3 C brown sugar
1/4 C regular sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter
1 1/3 C flour

Cake
1 1/4 C AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 stick butter
3/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest
2/3 C sour cream
1 1/4 C blueberries

The night before: mix the sugars and cinnamon for the topping in a medium bowl. Also, in another medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for the cake.

Preheat oven to 350.

Beat the butter and sugar for the cake until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat for antoher 30 seconds. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and sour cream and mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Fold in blueberries.

Spread cake mixture in a buttered 9" cake pan.

Melt the butter for the topping and add to the sugar and cinnamon. Stir. Add the flour. Crumble the topping on top of the cake.

Bake for 45 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment