It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Roast Beef Sandwiches with Radicchio, Endive and Asparagus Slaw

Unlike most slaws, I like to serve this one without much "sitting" time. The veggies go perfectly and it's great to serve in the spring when the asparagus are tender and delicious (and cheap!) When I eat beef, I really like it to be high quality and bloody as hell! I got this roast beef at Murray's, which is a fancy gourmet market with a little stand in Grand Central Market (which I go to entirely too often).

I would recommend packing this up with some seltzer and potato chips and bringing it as a picnic!!! HELLO SPRING

3/4 lb roast beef
Loaf ciabatta bread, sliced medium
1 inch of fresh horseradish, grated finely
1 TBSP creme fraiche
1 TBSP mayo
Arugula
Truffle oil

1/2 head radicchio, sliced thinly
2 heads endive, sliced thinly
1/2 bunch asparagus, shaved with a veggie peeler
1/3 C pine nuts
1 TBSP pepperoncinis, diced
3 garlic cloves
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 TBS fresh parsley, finely minced

Mix the creme fraiche, mayo and horseradish together. Season with salt/pepper. Spread the dressing on the bread, toss the arugula with a tiny amount of truffle oil and assemble the sandwiches. You can also add tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, etc. I kept it v simple.

For the slaw, cut all the veggies accordingly and toss with the pine nuts and parsley. In a small saute pan, heat the oil, add the garlic and then the vinegar and let simmer until reduced by about half. Add the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment