It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Fresh Pasta with Escorole, Trumpet Mushrooms and Fennel Sausage

I just came back from Jamaica mon and was craving to use my new Kitchenaid and pasta maker! This meal was perfect. I also missed my markets so I went to Chelsea Market and got the ill heady dank dank ingredients.

Fresh Pasta
3 1/2 C Semolina
4 extra large eggs
2 tsp olive oil
Water if needed

Kneed everything with the dough hook of your Kitchenaid (yay, I finally have one!!!), add water until you get the consistency you desire, wrap in plastic and let rest for 20 minutes. Roll through pasta machine and cut to your liking. You only need to boil the pasta for 4 minutes or so when you're ready.

Pasta Dish
Fresh Pasta (see above)
1 head escorole, cleaned and sauteed in olive oil until slightly wilted
3 trumpet mushrooms, sliced vertically, salted and fried in olive oil
4 fennel sausages char grilled and sliced into disks
1 large shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, roasted
3 twigs each fresh thyme and oregano
2 C white wine
1 C veggie stock
4 TBSP butter
Pecorino cheese
Fresh parsley
Salt/pepper

Prepare the escorole, shrooms and sausages as I've indicated and set them all aside. I let the shrooms sit in the kosher salt for a while then patted them dry before frying in oil. The result is an earthy, salty, crispy, irresistable little sucker. I will ceeertainly be frying up some trumpet mushroom chips again :-)

In the pan that had the escorole sauteed, add some more olive oil and sautee the shallots. Add the veggie stock, wine, roasted garlic and fresh herbs and simmer until reduced by half. Cook the pasta to el dente and add into the sauce for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Add the escorole, sausages and butter to the pan and toss to coat. Serve in large bowl and add the shrooms on top. Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley.

I served this with my tri-color dijon-herb dressing salad and my Dark Blood cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment