It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Arugula Swordfish

This is the kind of meal I would go to a restaurant for and pay $32 without any complaints. As you know (if you read my blogs), it is difficult for me to justify a meal out as I think restaurants for the most part are pretty gnarly. Also, I know I can spend half as much, get twice as nice ingredients and have it taste better if I do it myself. All that being said, going out for a great meal every once in a while is totally unbeatable.

Since we're on a budget, Meegy and I like to scope out the hole-in-the-wall restaurants (like our burrito place by our first apt on 45th St!!). That's where you get the best ish ever. Right now I'd say my favorite hole-in-the-wall is Nha Toi in South Williamsburg (I really hate that I have to go to Williamsburg for this... the people in Williamsburg are so unbearable). Nha Toi is a Vietnamese sandwich place... you can get out of there with a spicy catfish sandwich (pickled diakon, cucumber, garlicy bread, yummmy!) and a passionfruit drink for under $10. Then you just sit outside, eat your sandwich and make fun of all the fucking hipsters... it's great.

Anyways, back to the meal:

2 swordfish steaks
2 C packed arugula
1 Lemon (zest, juice and two cross sectional slices)
1 clove garlic (grated on a micro plane preferably... finely chopped if you have to)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried pepper flakes
A few capers
Fresh parsley
Olive oil
Salt/pep
*Parchment paper

Serve the Pear and Arugula salad to start.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and marinate steaks for just about 5 minutes per side. While the steaks are marinating, cut pieces of parchement that will fit the steaks with at least 4" left over on each side. Place 1 C arugula on each piece of parchment. Place the swordfish directly on top and sprinkle with the dried spices, garlic and lemon zest (each measurement up top should be divided into two in order to season both steaks). Place 3 sprigs of parsley on top of the fish then place lemon cross section on top and finish with capers and a drizzle of olive oil. Wrap the fish up in the parchment (see Italian Fish Pack for instructions), place the packets on a cookie sheet and cook for about 15 minutes.

Serve this with Lemon Pepper Risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment