It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Baked Clams with Linguini

This was my first attempt at clams and, might I add, they fucking rocked! I did this like I do most of my recipes: I searched Epicurious, Wikipedia and Food Network for some basic ideas and then I just went for it in my own kitchen. This is what I came up with and I cannot wait to try more versions. Also, I asked the friendly people at Pescatore in Grand Central Market to shuck the clams for me but I know some people can do this on their own... I will get there.

20 clams, on the half shell
1 C plain bread crumbs
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
2 pieces pancetta
2 TBSP finely chopped onion
1 TBSP finely chopped bell pepper (I used red)
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon zest
2 TBSP butter
olive oil

1/2 lb linguini
1/4 C olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley
pinch dried basil
Parmesan cheese

Boil salted water for the pasta.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook the pancetta over medium heat until just browning and remove from pan. Empty the pancetta juices from the pan, turn pan to medium-low and add 2 TBSP butter, onions and bell peppers. Cook until tender (about 7 minutes) and then add the garlic. As a side note, I like to add in my garlic using a microplane as it distributes the garlic nicely. Let that cook for 1-2 minutes.

In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, onion mixture, dried herbs, pancetta and lemon zest. Add enough oil until this mixture is wet but not oily.

Add pasta to water. While the pasta is cooking, add the oil, garlic and dried herbs to the frying pan and let simmer slowly. Once pasta is cooked, toss in the oil and add cheese.

Meanwhile, take a spoon and loosen (don't remove) the clams from the shell. Take the bread crumb mixture and put it on top of the clams. Pack it all down a bit. They should be heaping.

Cook clams for 5 minutes at 350 degrees then broil for 2 minutes to brown. Arrange the clams around a portion of linguine and freakin enjoooooy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment