It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Potato Omelette with Whole Wheat Cheddar Cheese Straws

If you're on a budget (like I usually am), this is a great and tasty meal. I sorta don't recommend doing this without a food processor (w a slicing feature) or a mandolin. Serve this with Cholula hot sauce.

This is for one serving:
1 Yukon gold spud (sliced thin)
3 eggs
1 tsp finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 TBSP milk
1/2 TBSP butter
1/2 TBSP oil
salt/pep

So, slice your potatoes suuuper super thin. As I said above, I don't think this can be achieved without the aid of your food processor or your mandolin. Heat the pan to medium high for a good few minutes, reduce to medium, add butter and oil and then arrange your potatoes in the pan in a flower type way (just arrange the slices in a circle around the pan). Let this cook for about 8 minutes.

Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and pour over top. Let this cook for about another 5 minutes. Ok, this is the hard part and, not gonna lie, I was super impressed that I was able to do this! So, the idea here is that you wanna get the other side (normally I would say broiler is fine, but my Cheese Straws were in there and I wanted to learn this pro-style way anyways). Get a plate and spray w non-stick spray. Cover the pan with the plate and flip fast and with confidence. Immediately slide the omelet back into the pan and turn heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes.

Make the Whole Wheat Cheddar Cheese straws first. These are great snack foods!

1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients except for the milk in a bowl and mix until you get big crumbs. Add the milk and kneed to form your dough. Roll out your dough into a thin sheet and cut long thin strips out and transfer to a cookie sheet. Cook for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment