It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Macaroni and Cheese

It's sorta like, really fun to do a grown-up Mac n Cheese cause you can throw all sorts of fancy stinky cheeses in there. I love love LOVE cheese so much and I like to go to Murray's here in NYC cause they let you sample everything and they're super knowledgeable. I really enjoy spending some time at Murray's and picking out different cheeses and asking what wines go with what, etc etc. I think the IPhone should have a wine app (side note). I think my fave so far has been adding an ultra stinker (say 4 ounces of aged blue cheese) with an Irish cheddar. Serve this w a side salad and everyone will be happy.

1/2 lb macaroni (anything that strikes your fancy will work. elbows are like soooo 1980's tho)
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour (that's right... it's a roux!)
1 1/2 TBSP powdered mustard
3 C milk
2 TBSP super fine yellow onion
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
1 egg
12 ounces of cheese, shredded
1 C breadcrumbs (fresh or panko)
3 TBSP butter

Make a roux by combining the flour and the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Once just combined, add the mustard and stir until it turns slightly brown (4 mins). Add the milk, onion, bay leaf and paprika and cook for 10 mins (should be continually slightly bubbling). Temper the egg and add them in. Next, add 3/4 of the cheese and stir to combine. Add macaroni, and transfer to a casserole dish. Melt butter in a pan, add breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Sprinkle top of casserole with buttery breadcrumbs (I like to make fresh breadcrumbs or use panko) and the rest of the cheese.

I think I might need to make me some mac n cheese tonight to go with this dreadful hangover (happy birthday Tully!!!) and this wretched rain. Rain rain go away!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment