It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mussels and Angle Hair

So, I was at the beach all weekend which was the best time ever. My friend Sasha just moved back from Colorado and I love her so much and she is so hysterical. Her new BF is the best thing ever! I got annihilated by waves and my sister is my fave ocean partner (Amy is a close second). I ate seafood and wanted more. So, I made this. It's simple and cheap.

I went to Grand Central Market to get all the ingredients. GCM is super great but expensive. That's why I got mussels ($4/lb) and pasta (fresh angel hair was like $2.50 and DELICIOUS).

1 lb mussels (umm, I did one lb just for myself)
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
Fresh angel hair pasta (since it's such a simple dish, use really great fresh pasta)
1/2 medium white onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp pepper
1 TBSP oil
Handful of fresh parsley (optional)
Parmigiana cheese

pre heat large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, all the spices and the onion and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until all the mussels have opened. After you add the mussels add the fresh pasta to the water and cook just a minute or two (since it's fresh) to make it al dente. Add the pasta and about 1 TBSP of the pasta water to mussel pan. mix all together and dump into bowl. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and parmagiano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment