It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Fish Tacos

These are quite possibly my favorite things in the world. When I went to Sayulita, Mexico these were $1 and they were so effing good I would order 5 at a time (hey, I was surfing all day, gimme a break)!

I didn't ask for the recipe to follow, I have just recreated it on my own several times that I'm confident they are pretty damn close. It was all simple stuff.

2 lbs firm fish (mahi mahi is my favorite)
Oil for deep frying
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 bottle of beer (get a good one)
1 head purple cabbage (totally authentic)
1 avocado
1 large tomato
2 TBS lime juice
1 TBS chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno
1 small red onion
Manchego cheese
Corn or flour tortilla (I suppose the corn ones are authentic but I sort of prefer the flour ones)

Start with the "slaw" so it has time to marinate. You are going to finely shred the cabbage, cube the avocado and tomato, roughly chop the cilantro and mince the jalapeno and red onion. Basically you chop all the shit up and put it in a bowl with the lime juice and some salt/pep.

Next, mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, chili and cayene). Add as much beer as you need to this (start slow) to make it into a thick batter.

Cube the fish, dredge in batter and deep fry in veggie oil at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until golden.

Add the fish to the tortilla then top with the slaw and cheese. Soo0o0o0o0o000oooo effing good! You can serve this w Chili Corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment