It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thai Beef Salad

I just made this last night and it is reeeeeeeeeally tasty. Mike even ate it and he is NOT a salad kinda dude. It was prob all the beef in it - hahaha. I made the dressing then dressed the lettuce immediately so it sorta had a chance to soak in. I also threw in whatever veggies I had on hand or whatever I was in the mood for. So, the veggies below are more suggestions than recipe requirements.

1 lb steak (flank, skirt, flatiron)
Steak marinade: 2 TBS lime juice, 2 TBSP soy sauce, 1 TBS black pepper
Dressing: 2 TBSP fish sauce, 2 TBSP lime juice, 1 TBSP soy sauce, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp sugar
Lettuce (any kind you want, but mixed greens are nice)
Mung beans
Snap peas
Baby corn
Cucumber
Red onion
Red pepper
Carrots

So, I made the dressing first and put it over the lettuce. Then marinate the steak (leave the steak marinating outside of the fridge to bring it to room temp. Marinate for at least 20 minutes. 45 is best) and preheat the cast iron skillet.

Next, I started peeling and chopping my veggies and dumping them into the soaking lettuce, turning it every once in a while. Then I seared my steak for 4 minutes on each side (ngl, I sorta like my steak still moo-ing). Let the steak sit for 20 minutes before thinly slicing. Letting the steak rest is the most crucial part of this recipe as it will allow it to redistribute the juices and finish cooking off.

After it's done resting, you slice and lay on top of veggies. Soooooo super duper good!!!! I wished I had cashews to sprinkle on top...

No comments:

Post a Comment