It's me, the Silliest

This is my blog of recipes. I like "eating the rainbow" as well as globe-trotting through food. I totally dig heady local produce and local fresh meats.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Udon Miso with Shrimp Tempura

Here's my first recipe. Please try my Asian market (see Gristedes blows! post).

1 tub red miso
1 package (of 5) udon noodles
1 pinch dried seaweed per bowl (this expands like woah)
8 baby bok choy
Enoki mushrooms
1 package firm tofu
1.5 lbs 16/20 shrimp, shelled and de-veined
1 C tempura mix (mix w 3/4 C water for batter)
Scallions
Cilantro
H2O
Oil

This is super easy, my total for everything but the shrimp was under 20 bones! hollaaa! You can leave the shrimp out if you're on a budget. In fact, this might be one of my most frequented meals and I rarely add the shrimp. It's bloody tasty when I have the loot for the critters tho!!

Fill a huge pot with water (let's say a gallon) add about half the tub of miso, the bok choy, and tofu and let cook, uncovered, for abt 30 minutes (altho, it only gets better with time). Add the noodles for the last 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oil to 350 degrees. Batter the shrimps and fry in batches for about 3 minutes each.

When ready to eat, sprinkle some seaweed at the bottom of your bowl. Ladle some broth and tong out the noodles. Sprinkle with scallions and cilantro and place 4 shrimp on top. Let this sit for 10 minutes before you eat (it will be scorching hot and seaweed has to reconstitute).

I love this meal and it is super cheap. Save the broth in the fridge or freezer and you can use it throughout the week/month ... just add the noodles, seaweed and scallions. The noodles you buy at the Asian market are fresh pulled noodles that have been frozen. Asian markets have all sorts of totally fun noodles... experiment and make it your own!

I've done so many variations of this... use whatever you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment